A typical beverage from Spain and Portugal, Sangria screams summer in a glass. Normally consisting of wine, chopped fruit, a sweetener, and a small amount of added brandy, sangria these days is enjoyed with vodka, rum and beer too. Fruits in a summer sangria can include orange, lemon, lime, apple, peach, cherries, melon, berries, pineapple, grape, kiwifruit, and mango.
Here are some tried, tested and well-received versions of refreshing summer Sangria for all the wine lovers out there, with a little something for beer lovers as well.
You will need a large pitcher or a mixing bowl, fruits, and drinks of your choice for the preparation. It’s best if you let the Sangria sit overnight to let all the beautiful flavors incorporate. In case overnight is not an option, at least an hour will suffice. Serve chilled, and beat the summer heat!
- Traditional Sangria: Mix your favorite red wine, some brandy, orange juice, apple and orange slices, some sugar and raspberries (or strawberries). Add few cinnamon sticks and soda water to the pitcher. Let the essence do its magic and serve chilled!
- Peachy Summer Sangria: Put together peach puree, slices of green apple and peach, grapes, lemon juice, chopped fresh basil, raspberries, raspberry liquor, sugar, white wine and soda water. Stir well and refrigerate.
- Beer Sangria: Take pleasure in the newly discovered tropical flavor with this beautiful blend of white ale, white wine, and brandy. White grape juice can be used in place of white wine. Combine it well with fresh orange, grapes, lemon, lime, pineapple, pears, and strawberry. Add in some sugar and oh, don’t forget the BEER.
- Vodka-Melon Sangria: This sangria takes its flavor and color from the entire melon family; watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. Take scoops of each fruit and put it in the pitcher. Add agave syrup or honey, watermelon flavored vodka, white wine and lime slices to it. Chill well, and you are good to go.
- Cool green Sangria: This literally tastes like a spa in a glass. Dice up some honeydew melon, slice cucumbers, mint leaves, sugar, white wine and soda water into a pitcher and let it sit. The beautiful color and invigorating taste will stir you up in no time.
- Red, Red Sangria: This variety features all things red- berries, pomegranate, and wine. Combine blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and pomegranate juice or pomegranate liquor, red wine and op it off with soda water. Don’t worry, it’s an antioxidant powerhouse so quit the guilty trip and enjoy.
Join us at Murphy’s Brewhouse, the best place to hang out in Bangalore, for a great glass of Sangria and some freshly brewed beer!